Ready to start your journey? Call us on 020 8561 0062 or 07775 523 462 today.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you guarantee that I will pass my Practical Test?

No Driving School can guarantee a pass.  We ensure every person we train is prepared and ready for their test.  

What age do I need to be to get an HGV/LGV licence?

The minimum age requirement to drive an HGV/LGV has changed from 21 to 18 years. This means you can drive a cat C+E vehicle (class 1) at 18

Is it cheaper to go with a driving agency?

There are lots of agencies and brokers who request up front payment for a guaranteed pass. They may work with various Driving Schools. We are a family run business and do not operate with any agencies.

How quickly can I start my training?

Bains Driving School will help you through the 5-step process to obtaining your licence.  Call us today to book your assessment.

Will my training be 121?

Yes. All training is carried out by our qualified driving instructors.

What is CPC?

The Driver CPC is for LGV and PCV drivers who drive professionally throughout the UK, it is designed to improve the knowledge and skills of professional LGV and PCV drivers throughout their working life.

There are two parts to the legislation:

Part 1: The Initial Qualification must be achieved by new LGV and PCV drivers along with their vocational licence to enable them to use their licence professionally.

Part 2: Periodic Training; 35 hours of training every 5 years must be attended by all professional drivers

What are the different licences?

>50 cm3

>45 km/h

(Alt. max. 25 kW - 0.16 kW/kg)

max. 125cm3

max. 11 kW

16 < .80 km/h < 18

max. 3.5 t

max. 8+1

< 750kg

< 750kg

> 3.5t, < 7.5t

max. 8+1


> 750kg

max. 12t

> 750kg

> 750kg

< 750kg

max. 16+1

< 750kg

max. 16+1

Max. 12t

< 750kg

< 750kg

There are lots of driving schools around. How do I know I am getting the best value for money?

Do your research and make sure you understand exactly what is included in your training. If you are being quoted a very low price in comparison to other Training providers, you must ask yourself why. 

Do I need to pass my Theory Test before the Practical Test?

Yes, you need to have passed both your Theory and Hazard Perception before undertaking your Practical Test

How long will my training take?

We will carry out an assessment and that will determine your bespoke training package. The end-to-end training processes normally takes up to 6 weeks.

What is the difference between Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) and Large Goods Vehicle (LGV)?

Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) and Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) is the same licence.

Category C1 you can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg.

Category C1E you can drive a C1 category vehicle with a trailer over 750kg. Combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000kg.

Category C you cand drive vehicles over 3,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg.

Category CE you can drive vehicles with a trailer up to 750kg. 

What is the difference between D and D1?

Category D you can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats and with a trailer up to 750kg.

Category D1 you can drive vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats, and it has to be a maximum length of 8 metres and a trailer up to 750kg.

Who will be affected?

New drivers who acquire a PCV licence (D1, D1+E, D, D+E licence) after the 10th September 2008 and/or an LGV entitlement (C1, C1+E, C or C+E licence) after the 10th September 2009 will have to obtain the Initial qualification in addition to their licence to drive professionally.

New drivers who are still able to obtain a vocational licence but can defer the Initial Qualification by up to a maximum of one year whilst, still being able to drive professionally.An example of a National Vocational Training programme would be an Apprenticeship in Driving Goods Vehicles. Drivers intending to use this concession will have to register with the Driving Standards Agency.

Existing drivers who held a licence prior to the 10th September 2008 (PCV) or the 10th September 2009 (LGV) are exempt from the Initial Qualification.

All professional drivers (new and existing drivers) must complete a total of 35 hours Periodic Training every 5 years following their "acquired rights" or Initial Qualification to keep their Driver CPC valid. Existing drivers must complete their Periodic Training by September 2013 (PCV) and September 2014 (LGV).

Ready to start your journey?

If you need more information on any of our services please do not hesitate to get in touch with us and speak to one of our friendly advisor.